Do you know what Marketing is, or how Marketing and Sales work together? Need some pointers to get your Marketing strategy heading in the right direction? Then read on:
What is Marketing?
There are lots of different definitions of marketing, but at a top level it is activity that:
1. Gets you ready with the right offering, aimed at the right people (strategy)
2. Communicates with your target audience in a way that informs and engages them – supporting your sales efforts (tactics)
3. Keeps you engaged with your customers so they continue to buy, buy more and recommend you to others (engage and review)
Marketing and Sales
Some people think that marketing is all about cost and sales is all about making money, but really sales and marketing are best friends – they support each other to achieve outcomes and are ineffective when working solo!
Marketing supports the sales effort, for example:
1. Ensuring the sales team is talking to the right people at the right time with a set of messages that resonates with the customer
2. Ensuring the customer is aware of your product before a salesperson picks up the phone
3. Giving the salesperson leads that are pre-qualified and of potential customers who are showing buying signals.
Pause & plan. Many businesses jump straight to the tactics of marketing without stopping to think about their strategy – it is important to spend time thinking about what you’re doing and why
What’s your story? Marketing does not need to be scary or expensive – many businesses have great stories to tell
Re-use & recycle. It’s not just for the eco-friendly. You can re-use one story in multiple ways to get maximum impact
Take action. Make sure you have a call to action in your communications. What do you want someone to do next when they read an article or visit your website? Get in touch, download an article, give you their email, buy the product?
Be regular. Be consistent and regular in your communications - a regular rhythm of relevant activity will get cut-through
Here are some pointers to get you going:
You can download this blog piece as a PDF here: